Monday, October 8, 2012

239.2

Weigh-In day was yesterday. Despite going to The Melting Pot (fondue) and The Olive Garden (Italian) last week, I still lost about 3 1/2 pounds! I'm down almost 12 pounds total. Also, Weight Watchers set my first goal at losing 5% of my body weight. I'm within 1 pound of that first goal.

Now the bad news. I got lectured by the Weight Watchers page about losing weight too quickly. I guess you're only supposed to average 2 pounds a week. I'm impatient, though, and I'm busting my behind. I'm working my butt off, literally, and I want to see the results of that ASAP. I got very angry when I was told I'm losing too much weight too quickly. I'm using up most of my points. I'm actually exercising. And now I'm told it's too much?

Argh.

I got a lot of good feedback from friends and family, though, saying that at first, losing a lot of weight is OK, especially since I am exercising and not just dieting.

Which is good. Because I don't want to start eating worse or more to lose less weight, and then have to eat less and/or better when I plateau. I like the pace I'm at.

So that really put a bummer into my day.

Went for a long walk yesterday. Went to the zoo today and did a lot more walking. I'll try to hit the gym tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday or Friday. I need to make sure I don't overdo it at the gym; my body isn't used to all this exercise, and my back has been letting me know when I need to slow down.

I think the reality that this is forever is starting to hit me now. I will never be able to go back to the way I used to eat. I will always have to be careful about what I eat. I will always have to exercise. It's daunting. I know I can do it. I just have to think one day at a time. I can't worry about tomorrow, I can only worry about today.

I guess that's about it for today. Thanks for taking this journey with me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    I think the weight that you have lost is great. I understand what weight watchers is saying, but isn't everyone different? Don't we all lose weight at different speeds? As long as you are not starving yourself. I should think that the weight you lose would be okay.
    The first time that I ever lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time, was when I was teaching horseback riding at a summer camp. All of the work with the horses and the mile walk (up hill) to and from the barn everyday, at least 6 times a day, really helped me to drop weight very quickly, and I wasn't even trying. And believe me, I was eating 3 very big meals a day.
    I had been trying to walk before work everyday, but lately it has been so busy I haven't had a chance to walk. I have also found out that I need surgery next month to remove an ovarian cyst, the size of a grapefruit, so I am not allowed to do my Zumba dancing right now for fear that the ovary may twist. I have only lost 3 pounds. Oh well, hopefully I'll get back on track in December. The only way that I am going to keep weight off is walking and staying physical. Unfortunately, grooming isn't physical enough.
    Keep up the good work. Take care of yourself. That is the most important thing. :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa!

      Thanks for commenting. Sorry it's taken a couple of days for me to reply, life's been pretty crazy.

      Yes, the general consensus I'm getting from friends and family is that yes, people lose weight at different rates, especially at first. I definitely eat, I just also exercise a lot.

      Yikes, I hope everything goes well with your surgery and you can get back on track!

      I did Zumba for the very first time tonight, and it was crazy! I don't know how you did that on a regular basis. I felt so uncoordinated and out of shape; meanwhile there's a 60ish lady next to me nailing every move.

      I'm too lazy (and not a morning person) to do anything before work, so I've been doing either walking or the gym straight after work, before I even sit down.

      Thank you for the encouragement, I appreciate it very much. I will be rooting you on, too, especially after your surgery. Losing weight sucks, but I believe it is an absolute necessity in able to continue grooming.

      :-)
      Jennifer

      Delete